How do you find God and silence in the crazy?

     In high school literature I have been reading The Chosen by Chaim Potok.  The book deals with the idea of silence.  The book strongly emphasizes the value of silence.  Mother Terresia  once said,"We cannot find God in noise or agitation" but I disagree with that.  God doesn't call us to serene and silent missions.  He calls us to change the world and to dedicate ourselves to His calling.  He calls us to the crazy, not the serene.  Think of the disciples in the boat in the middle of  a storm. (Mark 4)  It is when we find ourselves weak and in the middle of chaos that we find ourselves sustained by God.     
  
     In Psalm 46:10 God commands us to, "Be still and know that I am God."  So how does this work with God's call to crazy missions?  We have to make and seek time with God.  We have to begin our days reading his word.   Although the value of seeking God is incomparable, we have to realize that we can't spend our whole lives sitting around and listening.  Is it possible that being still is a spirit of listening throughout our crazy lives? We have to be in  a spirit of listening, not in a paralyzed stillness.  

     Right now God has called me to high school, drama, dance, and church.  He's called me to pursue becoming an actress with everything in my power.  My life is crazy.  So where is the silence found?  Silence is found in the brief prayer for help, the anguishing cry of an exhausted spirit, or finding myself in complete dependence on God .  It is the craziness of life when we find God and silence.  It's the peace that passes understanding in the middle of the crazy.


                        A word is worth one coin,silence is worth two.
                                                                                         -The Talmud






2 comments

  1. Are you enjoying The Chosen? I read it and actually quite liked it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished it and LOVED it!! It was really entertaining. I think there are 2 sequels so I want to read them now!

    ReplyDelete

© This Stage of Life. Design by Fearne.