A blessing in disguise

       Busy.  Tired.  No sleep.  No time.  Messy mascara because I had to do it in the car.  A miss-matched outfit.  Chipped fingernails.  I forgot my dance shoes.  Where's my lipstick?  A voice that won't stop cracking.  A body barely able to move.  The strangest dinner you've ever had grabbed on your way out of the door.   Tingling rises up in me. Runny nose.  Red eyes.  No sleep.  No rest.  More caffeine.  Grab a tissue.  Pretend your nose isn't running.  Keep dancing.  Keep singing.  Keep smiling.  You can't be sick.  No sleep.  No rest.  C plus in algebra.  More homework.  No time.  Can't stop coughing.  Keep moving.  The tingling.  The cough.  The cast tells me to go to the doctor.  I laugh.  There's no time to be sick.  Keep dancing  Keeping singing.  Keep smiling.   Fall over. I lost control.  Miss school.  Sleep all day.  Blow  my nose.  Stop dancing.  Sing softer.  It's ok to cry.  It's ok to be sick. Rest.  Sleep. Ditch the dance shoes.  Watch a movie.  Make it to rehearsal only because performance is three weeks away.  Bring a tissue.  Bring the inhaler.  Keep smiling.  Cut out everything but rehearsals.  Rest for the first time in three months.  Crazy life where being sick is a blessing in disguise.


2 comments

© This Stage of Life. Design by Fearne.