Audition


Over the past several months I have prepared for what may be my biggest audition ever.  I have memorized Shakespeare, agonized over a song I wasn't prepared to sing, gone back and forth from this dress to that dress, changed songs, cut back on the monologue because it was to long, drove my family crazy by counting down the days, annoyed my brother by attempting to show the piece to him every five minutes and I've done it all by myself. This audition means everything to me.  Here I'd like to give you a first-hand look into how I prepared myself for my audition.


1.   The monologue

The first thing I did was to select a monologue.  I wanted a challenge, and since my artistic director had once said she wanted to see me in Shakespeare, I selected Juliet.   I memorized her whole farewell speech, but had to cut out the first and last parts to make sure it was only a minute.


2. The Song
I currently do not have a voice teacher so this was a huge challenge.  Auditions are a form of competition.  You have to prove to the auditors that your the best actress for the role.  You have to be the best.  I selected," Reflections" from Mulan.  After months and months of trying I had to face the fact that because I didn't have a voice teacher it was safest to choose another option.  I chose "When Somebody Loved Me" from Toy Story 2.  This song had enough high notes to be impressive, but it was safe enough for me to learn on my own.  

  3. Know as much about auditioning as you can.
Knowing that I had this audition coming up, I rented two books from the library.  One was about stage acting in general, the other was about auditioning.  I read what applied to my situation and learned allot.  Since I don't have a coach, this was extremely helpful.


4. The Head-Shot and Resume
Having a head-shot and resume are vital for most auditions.  Because I have done work with the group I'm auditioning for, they already have my head-shot.  I won't bring another one in.   They also have my resume, but since I last auditioned I have added dance, a performance, and a workshop.  I want to impress them with the biggest resume possible.  I'm bringing my new and improved.


5. Practice, Practice,Practice

As my director has said, "Go through your words."  You have to develop what you are saying.  You have to try different ways of expression.  I have spent hours with just me, my monologue book, and my mirror, preparing, working and developing the character.  


5. The props  

Props should not overwhelm the audition.  If you have to many props they will get in your way and/or be a distraction.  The audition  is about you as an actor.  Showcase yourself.  Since my monologue revolves around taking a sleeping potion, I needed a potion-like bottle.  I used a glass from  my kitchen, a cork I use for vocal exercises, and water died green.  This and my phone for music are the only things I'm carrying into the audition.  


6. The Outfit

One of the library books talked about wearing something that hinted at the time period, so I looked up 16th century clothing.  A common theme I saw was big, full sleeves, so I selected a long, pink, full sleeved dress from my closet. This dress is ideal because I'm auditioning for a biblical piece with a 16th century monologue.  The dress is long enough to hint at a tunic, but it also has full-sleeves to hint at the 16th century.



7. The Shoes


Because I have danced with this group before, and dance is on my resume, I won't be surprised if I am asked to dance, so I am wearing my t-strapped dance shoes.  These shoes are timeless.  They can be worn for any time period and still be accurate.  I have worn them as a Victorian school-child, a biblical cloth merchant, the best friend of the mother of Christ, and I wore them for a dance recital.  They are wonderful character shoes.


8. The Face
 DO NOT WEAR HEAVY OR STAGE MAKEUP.  
I am doing very very light makeup.  I want the auditors to be able to see me as anything they want to see me as, I can't show them that covered by, Winged Eyeliner or full stage makeup.   If I were performing with full stage lights heavy makeup would be absolutely necessary, but as I am only auditioning, I have to refrain from over-doing it.

Winged eyeliner

Full Stage Makeup





9. Confidence
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
 I have prepared, I have agonized, I have everything in order. I am ready.




1 comment

  1. SAMMMMM. this was so good. the list was insightful and I'm just like 'this is how i felt before my pitch'
    different things though. but yayayayayay. + your blog is linked in my blog post tomorrow!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

© This Stage of Life. Design by Fearne.